Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Elderly parents

Alan and I have been dealing with his mother and step father for several years, both now in their 80's.  My mom is in her 80's as well.

I have such a soft spot for the elderly and I love our parents so much.  So much to the point of sacrifice at times, but it is well with me.

You only get one time around to love in this world. 

Sometimes however they say things that can hurt your feelings, they get irritable, they need help going to the bathroom, etc. etc. etc.  Patience truly becomes the best virtue to have at these times.

We also have experienced some mistrust which is the most hurtful thing of all.

I just hope when we are up in age, that our sons would give the same kind of care & patience to us that we have given to them.

It all leaves me a bit sad, but I will let go and let God.

1 comment:

  1. I pray that he is that way with you too! You know though I know how hard it is to be the caregiver for older people. I did it with my grandparents. Not as much as my sister, being she lived with them...but enough to get in the way of their words at times and still keep going back open armed and ready to scrub a toilet and then kiss them goodbye! God sees your heart Geri. I know you will be blessed in the area of more patience but in the knowing you will be cared for with love when you get older!!

    ReplyDelete